Isle of Man Endorsement Requirements

The Isle of Man Ship Registry does not issue its own Certificates of Competency, but the Ship Registry is required by regulation I/10 of the STCW Convention to issue an endorsement recognising a National Certificate of Competency. Endorsements are required for all officers sailing on Isle of Man registered vessels unless they hold a Certificate of Competency (CoC) issued by the United Kingdom under the Convention.

Officers serving on Isle of Man registered vessels may be of any nationality and any residency provided they are holders of a CoC issued by one of the STCW ‘white list’ countries recognised by the Isle of Man.

The current list of recognised countries is listed in MSN 051 and all officers with a CoC issued by one of these countries may apply for an Isle of Man Endorsement.

If a seafarer holds a United Kingdom issued Certificate of Equivalent Competency (CEC), they must still apply for an Isle of Man Endorsement.

The Ship Registry does not normally accept applications from individual seafarers and applications should be made through the owner/operator or one of their manning agents.

Isle of Man Endorsements can now be issued in a new format and printed by the Company who submitted the application. This has been acknowledged by IMO in STCW.2/Circ.81.


Isle of Man Endorsements can be verified here.

List of Required Documents

The list of documents required to be submitted in order to apply for an endorsement is provided below. Please note that not all documents are required for every application, as it is dependent upon the type of vessel the officer will be serving on.

  • Completed Form A-1 Endorsement Application Form with sections 3 and 4 signed (as appropriate); ON LINE APPLICATIONS DO NOT REQUIRE AN A1 FORM
  • 1 passport quality colour photograph
  • 1 clear specimen Signature (black ink on white background)
  • A clear and legible copy of a valid Certificate of Competency (CoC) and STCW Endorsement
  • Valid GMDSS Certificate (Deck Officers only)
  • If applicable, clear, legible and valid copies of the officer’s certificates relating to dangerous goods – Oil, Gas, Chemicals as appropriate, where the dangerous goods endorsement is not included in the Certificate of Competency
  • If applicable, other certificates/endorsements if they are required to be issued separately by the CoC (i.e. ARPA, ECDIS, passenger ship training, 1kV etc.)

Endorsement application process

The Ship Registry recommends online applications as the quickest, easiest and most cost effective way to apply for an Endorsement. 

The Ship Registry carries out checks on both the quality and the validity of all applications submitted. Each application, if acceptable for the issuance of an Endorsement, will be acknowledged with a Confirmation of Receipt of Application (CRA), a copy of which must be forwarded to the vessel. The CRA will be e-mailed directly to the company making the application.

If the officer is deemed suitable, an endorsement certificate will be issued as soon as possible. This is often issued on the same day as the application, but is normally within a few days of receipt of the application.

The STCW Convention allows a seafarer to serve on a vessel for 3 months without the Isle of Man Endorsement being available on board; however, the seafarer must have a copy of the relevant CRA.

It is essential that the Company and master ensure that correct documentation is onboard. Port State Control examinations of crew certification can result in deficiencies or even detentions in the event of incorrect or missing documents.

Original versions of officers and crews certification must be available onboard as per Regulation I/2 of the STCW Convention. 

Form of Endorsement

Endorsements are single-sided and printed on plain white A4 paper and an example of an Endorsement is provided in Appendix 2. This A4 style document is fully compliant with the model certificate as outlined in the STCW Convention.

Upon receipt of the endorsement, the holder must sign the document in the blue box on the front of the endorsement. The document is not deemed to be valid unless this box is signed.

Please be aware the Ship Registry does not issue a separate GMDSS Endorsement for deck officers.

Express Processing Service

For an additional fee the Ship Registry offers an express endorsement processing service for any urgent applications. If you require this service, please make this clear when submitting the application.